Series Vol. 26 , 07 November 2023
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
One of the most important things that affect people’s lives is transit. Everyone relies on transit to go to different places. Due to a high amount of private car ownership in the city, traffic jams start to occur. Then, demands start to show up on public transit. Lots of people nowadays rely on public transit to go to different places. Therefore, a small modification on a transit line could affect a massive number of residents. To build an accessible and eco-friendly transit has always been a goal for most of the city governments and agencies. In this essay, some factors that affect modern transit and people’s intention to ride transit in Shanghai will be discussed. Shanghai’s different transit factors, including private cars ownership, public transit coverage, and eco-friendly fleet rate will be compared among two other similar cities globally. Some suggestions on different dimensions of transit will be given to help Shanghai to build a greener and more efficient transit, to reduce the air pollution and traffic congestion.
Shanghai’s transit, transit line, public transit, eco-friendly transit, green transit, city planning
1. White Paper on Transportation Development of Shanghai. Shanghai Securities News. (2022, August). https://www.cnstock.com/image/202207/28/20220804203936051.pdf
2. Wei, C. (2016). Domestic and foreign urban green transportation development strategy and enlightenment. Architecture and Decoration (5), 2.
3. Huapu, C. (2009, November). Approaches towards Realization of Urban Green Transportation. Urban Transport of China (7), 6.
4. Yue, T. (2012, April 9). Urban three-dimensional transportation and green travel environment. School of Journalism and Communication, Wuhan University.
5. Amount of privately owned passenger cars in China from 2009 to 2020. Statista. (2021, September). https://www.statista.com/topics/5676/passenger-vehicles-in-china
6. Guangzhou Bureau of Planning and Natural Resources. (2022, August 12). 2021 Guangzhou Transport Development Annual Report. The People’s Government of Guangzhou Municipality.
7. Singapore's unique automotive world. China Automotive News. http://www.chezhubidu.com/detail/details/1/872447
8. 605km Endurance on one Charge’s BYD Han EV, the Advantages and Slot Points Are Here (2021, February 4). Sohu News. https://www.sohu.com/a/448679862_115706?_trans_=000019_wzwza
9. Consumers Prefer Internal Combustion Engines, and Singapore's Road to Electric Vehicle-s Will not Be Easy(2023, March 28). China Economic Net. https://baijiahao.baidu.com/s?id=1761571722963245599&wfr=spider&for=pc
10. Administration Committee of Lingang New Zone of China Pilot Free Trade Zone. (2021, January). China Pilot Free Trade Zone Lingang New Area Comprehensive Transportation “14th Five-Year” plan. Lingang Government. https://www.lingang.gov.cn/upload/files/2021/2/67db551efb9563a3.pdf
11. Shanghai People’s Government. (2022, July 8). Shanghai carbon peak implementation pla-n. National Development and Reform Commission. https://www.ndrc.gov.cn/fggz/hjyzy/tdftzh/202208/t20220808_1332758_ext.html
12. Han, J. (2015, April 13). Characteristics and major problems of urbanization in developed countries. Xinhua Net. http://www.xinhuanet.com/politics/2015-04/13/c_127681461.htm
13. Zi, H. (2021, October 14). A study on Improving traffic function of integrated nodal city under the new spatial pattern of Shanghai: A case study of five new towns. Shangguan News. https://www.jfdaily.com/sgh/detail?id=560974
14. Shanghai Municipal Transportation Commission, S. M. T. C. (2021, April). Shanghai Co-mprehensive Transportation development “14th Five-Year” plan. Shanghai Municipal Transportation Commission. https://jtw.sh.gov.cn/uploads/%E4%B8%8A%E6%B5%B7%E5%B8%82%E7%BB%BC%E5%90%88%E4%BA%A4%E9%80%9A%E2%80%9C%E5%8D%81%E5%9B%9B%E4%BA%94%E2%80%9D%E8%A7%84%E5%88%92.pdf
15. Circular of The State Council on Printing and Distributing the 14th Five-Year Plan for the Development of the Modern Comprehensive Transport System. China State Council. (2021, December 9). http://www.gov.cn/zhengce/content/2022-01/18/content_5669049.htm
16. New energy business geography of Guangzhou: the city of smart cars. AutoHome. (2022, September 16). https://www.autohome.com.cn/news/202209/1263103.html
17. Yang, C., & Qin, Q. (2021, September 29). Current situation and future prospect of Shanghai Urban public Transport. People Net. http://sh.people.com.cn/n2/2021/0929/c134768-34938100.html
18. Study on public transport fare system in Singapore. ChinaIUT.(2021, March 12). http://old.chinaiut.com/article-1536.html
19. You, M., Wang, R., & Wang, F. (2019, September 8). Suggestions on further impr-oving Shanghai bus route planning. Shanghai CPPCC. http://188.8.131.52/shzx/tagd/content/ad7cb352-4792-4631-a866-df932cd061b5.html
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available from the authors upon reasonable request.