Series Vol. 26 , 07 November 2023
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
With the rate of adoption of new energy vehicles, the manufacturing industry of power batteries is swiftly entering a rapid development trajectory. The current construction of new energy vehicles encompasses a variety of different types of batteries. This article offers a summary of the evolution of power batteries, which have grown in tandem with new energy vehicles, oscillating between decline and resurgence in conjunction with industrial advancements, and have continually optimized their performance characteristics up to the present. The main body of this text is dedicated to presenting the working principles and performance features of four primary power batteries: lead-storage batteries, nickel-metal hydride batteries, fuel cells, and lithium-ion batteries, and introduces their current application status and future development prospects. In conclusion, this piece identifies technical obstacles that need to be urgently overcome in the future of new energy vehicle power batteries and anticipates future development trends and emerging battery technologies in current research and development.
new energy vehicles, lithium ion battery, fuel cell, lead storage battery, Ni-MH battery
1. Kempton W. (2016) Electric vehicles: Driving range. Nature Energy. 1(9): 16131.
2. Yu Y, Song Y, Mao J. (2019) Quantitative analysis of the material, energy and value flows of a lead-acid battery system and its external performance. Science of the Total Environment. 688: 103-111.
3. Yan J, Tseng F-M, Lu L Y Y. (2018) Developmental trajectories of new energy vehicle research in economic management: Main path analysis. Technological Forecasting and Social Change. 137: 168-181.
4. Lopes P P, Stamenkovic V R. (2020) Past, present, and future of lead–acid batteries. Science. 369(6506): 923-924.
5. Shapira R, Nessim G, Zimrin T, Aurbach D. (2013) Towards promising electrochemical technology for load leveling applications: extending cycle life of lead acid batteries by the use of carbon nano-tubes (CNTs). Energy & Environmental Science. 6: 587.
6. Ding L X, Zheng F L, Wang J W, et al. (2012) Super-large dendrites composed of trigonal PbO2 nanoplates with enhanced performances for electrochemical devices. Chemical Communications. 48(9): 1275-1277.
7. Jiang X, Wang Y, Herricks T, Xia Y. (2004) Ethylene glycol-mediated synthesis of metal oxide nanowires. Journal of Materials Chemistry. 14(4): 695.
8. Yang C C, Wang C C, Li M M, Jiang Q. (2017) A start of the renaissance for nickel metal hydride batteries: a hydrogen storage alloy series with an ultra-long cycle life. Journal of Materials Chemistry A. 5(3): 1145-1152.
9. Steele B C H, Heinzel A. (2001) Materials for fuel-cell technologies. Nature. 414(6861): 345-352.
10. Tian H, Cui X, Shi J. (2021) Emerging electrocatalysts for PEMFCs applications: Tungsten oxide as an example. Chemical Engineering Journal. 421: 129430.
11. Li M, Lu J, Chen Z, Amine K. (2018) 30 Years of Lithium-Ion Batteries. Advanced Materials. 1800561.
12. Ghosh S, Charjee U B, Bhowmik S, et al. (2021) A Review on High-Capacity and High-Voltage Cathodes for Next-Generation Lithium-ion Batteries. Journal of Energy and Power Technology. 4(1): 1-59.
13. Park N-Y, Park G-T, Kim S-B, et al. (2022) Degradation Mechanism of Ni-Rich Cathode Materials: Focusing on Particle Interior. ACS Energy Letters. 7(7): 2362-2369.
14. Zhou L, Kwok C Y, Shyamsunder A, et al. (2020) A new halospinel superionic conductor for high-voltage all solid state lithium batteries. Energy & Environmental Science. 13(7): 2056-2063.
15. Rojo T, Hu Y-S, Forsyth M, Li X. (2018) Sodium-Ion Batteries. Advanced Energy Materials. 8(17): 1800880.
16. Yu X, Chen R, Gan L, Li H, Chen L. (2023) Battery Safety: From Lithium-Ion to Solid-State Batteries. Engineering. 21: 9-14.
17. Chang X, Zhao Y-M, Yuan B, et al. (2023) Solid-state lithium-ion batteries for grid energy storage: opportunities and challenges. Science China Chemistry. (in press).
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available from the authors upon reasonable request.