Series Vol. 25 , 07 November 2023
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Piezoelectric transducers have seen widespread usage in the monitoring of structural health. It has tremendous potential for monitoring the health of infrastructure, especially pavement monitoring. In the present study, the impedance characteristics of a piezoelectric plate embedded in the pavement is utilized to monitor the health status of the pavement. Based on the piezoelectricity principle, a model of an electromechanical piezoelectric plate embedded in pavement is established. The damage of the pavement is considered as the thickness decreasing of the pavement layer. The present proposed model is verified by comparing its degeneration with the exact solution of a single layer model. Numerical results demonstrated that with the deceasing of the thickness of the pavement, which is considered as the deterioration of the pavement, the achievable maximum electromechanical impedance characterization including impedance, admittance and conductance decreased. This demonstrated that the achievable maximum impedance, admittance and conductance of an embedded piezoelectric plate could be used as the indicator of pavement health monitoring. This study primarily presents theoretical underpinnings for pavement monitoring using electromechanical impedance of piezoelectric plates.
pavement, structural health monitoring, electromechanical impedance, piezoelectric transducers, theoretical model
1. Sun W 2009 Intelligent concrete Structural health monitoring technology using piezoelectric ceramics (Dalian University of Technology
2. Yang Q 1999 Research and Development of Intelligent Materials. Functional Materials (6): 575-581
3. Yan S, Zhang H 2008 Numerical analysis and control for cantilever flexible beams using PZT patches. International Society for Optics and Photonics. International Society for Optics and Photonics
4. Yan S and Zhang H 2008 Experimental study on positive feedback control of flexible cantilever beams using piezoelectric ceramic actuators. Journal of Shenyang Jianzhu University, 24 (3): 362-365
5. Wu K 2003 Theoretical and Experimental Research on Active Vibration Control of Intelligent Composite Structures Embedded in Piezoelectric Materials (Doctoral dispersion, Northwestern Polytechnical University)
6. Wu K 2003 Theoretical and Experimental Research on Active Vibration Control of Intelligent Composite Structures Embedded in Piezoelectric Materials (Doctoral dispersion, Northwestern Polytechnical University)
7. Zhang H 2016 Piezoelectric aggregate stress monitoring and model correction for seismic damage of reinforced concrete structures (Dalian University of Technology)
8. Zhang X 2021 Research on Structural health monitoring using piezoresistive impedance method based on adjustable inductance (Southeast University)
9. Hu X 2018 Research on Damage Identification of Plate Structures Based on Piezoelectric Impedance Technology (Doctoral Dissertation, Huazhong University of Science and Technology)
10. Cao P, Shuai Q and Tang J 2017 Structural damage identification using piezoelectric impedance measurement with sparse inverse analysis. Smart Materials & Structures
11. Jiao L and Li H 2006 Research progress of PZT's EMI technology in civil engineering health monitoring. Journal of Disaster Prevention and Reduction Engineering, 26 (1), 102-108
12. Park G, Cudney H, et al 2000 Impedance-based health monitoring of civil structural components. Journal of Infrastructure Systems, 6(4): 153-160
13. Sun M, Li Z and Hou Z 2003 Application of piezoelectric materials in Structural health monitoring of civil engineering. Concrete, 161 (3): 22-24
14. Zhang C, Wang X, Yan Q, et al 2020 A novel method to monitor soft soil strength development in artificial ground freezing projects based on electromechanical impedance technique: Theoretical modeling and experimental validation. Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, 31(12): 1477-1494
15. Hu Y, Zhang X, et al 2003 Transmitting electric energy through a metal wall by acoustic waves using piezoelectric transducers. IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control, 50(7): 773-781
16. Wang X, Shi Z and Song G. 2018 Analytical study of influence of boundary conditions on acoustic power transfer through an elastic barrier. Smart Materials and ltructures, 28
17. Ji H 2021 Research on the Mechanism of Asphalt Pavement Defects in BRT Special Lane of Urban Roads in Seasonal Frozen Areas of Xinjiang Based on Finite Element ANSYS Analysis. (Xinjiang Agricultural University)
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available from the authors upon reasonable request.