Series Vol. 25 , 07 November 2023
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
This review focuses on the impact of numerous conditions on the fluorescence function of silver nanoclusters (AgNCs) as biomarkers. Factors such as particle size, structure and different ligand types are explored. First off, differential stability, sensitivity, cellular uptake, and biodistribution as well as red or blue shifts in absorption and emission wavelengths are caused by varied particle sizes. Furthermore, in the context of detecting microRNA using AgNC-based probes, the presence of a mismatched self-dimer structure is also crucial for achieving a significant red emission. In the final section, the considerable influence of ligands—divided into primary and secondary ligands—on the photoluminescence (PL) characteristics of atomically accurate AgNCs is examined with a focus on Ag29 nanoclusters.
silver nanoclusters, biomarkers, fluorescent, probe
1. Díez, I., & Ras, R. H. (2011). Fluorescent silver nanoclusters. Nanoscale, 3(5), 1963-1970.
2. Chinen, A. B., Guan, C. M., Ferrer, J. R., Barnaby, S. N., Merkel, T. J., & Mirkin, C. A. (2015). Nanoparticle probes for the detection of cancer biomarkers, cells, and tissues by fluorescence. Chemical reviews, 115(19), 10530-10574.
3. Li, Q., Liu, L., Liu, J.-W., Jiang, J.-H., Yu, R.-Q., & Chu, X. (2014). Nanomaterial-based fluorescent probes for live-cell imaging. TrAC Trends in Analytical Chemistry, 58, 130-144.
4. Garg, S., Kamboj, S., Giri, S., Paul, B., Violina, D., Aggarwal, R., Tyagi, S., & Deepak, D. (2022). Small Silver Nanoparticles: A Multi-Functional Novel Delivery Vehicle For Therapeutics. Journal of Pharmaceutical Negative Results, 3504-3511.
5. Chatterjee, S., Lou, X.-Y., Liang, F., & Yang, Y.-W. (2022). Surface-functionalized gold and silver nanoparticles for colorimetric and fluorescent sensing of metal ions and biomolecules. Coordination Chemistry Reviews, 459, 214461.
6. Jiang, W., Kim, B. Y., Rutka, J. T., & Chan, W. C. (2008). Nanoparticle-mediated cellular response is size-dependent. Nature nanotechnology, 3(3), 145-150.
7. Amara, H., Nelayah, J., Creuze, J., Chmielewski, A., Alloyeau, D., Ricolleau, C., & Legrand, B. (2021). Is There Really a Size effect on the Surface Energy of Nanoparticles? https://hal.science/hal-03310351/
8. Shah, P., Rørvig-Lund, A., Chaabane, S. B., Thulstrup, P. W., Kjaergaard, H. G., Fron, E., Hofkens, J., Yang, S. W., & Vosch, T. (2012). Design aspects of bright red emissive silver nanoclusters/DNA probes for microRNA detection. Acs Nano, 6(10), 8803-8814.
9. Sahoo, K., & Chakraborty, I. (2023). Ligand effects on the photoluminescence of atomically precise silver nanoclusters. Nanoscale, 15(7), 3120-3129.
10. AbdulHalim, L. G., Bootharaju, M. S., Tang, Q., Del Gobbo, S., AbdulHalim, R. G., Eddaoudi, M., Jiang, D.-e., & Bakr, O. M. (2015). Ag29 (BDT) 12 (TPP) 4: a tetravalent nanocluster. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 137(37), 11970-11975.
11. Yoshida, H., Kumar, J., Ehara, M., Okajima, Y., Asanoma, F., Kawai, T., & Nakashima, T. (2020). Impact of Enantiomeric Ligand Composition on the Photophysical Properties of Chiral Ag29 Nanoclusters. Bulletin of the Chemical Society of Japan, 93(7), 834-840.
12. Yourston, L. E., & Krasnoslobodtsev, A. V. (2020). Micro RNA Sensing with Green Emitting Silver Nanoclusters. Molecules, 25(13), 3026.
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available from the authors upon reasonable request.