Series Vol. 23 , 07 November 2023
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
The lithium-ion battery has become one of the most widely used green energy sources, and the materials used in its electrodes have become a research hotspot. There are many different types of electrode materials, and negative electrode materials have developed to a higher level of perfection and maturity than positive electrode materials. Enhancing the electrochemical capabilities of positive electrode materials is therefore crucial. In addition to exploring and choosing the preparation or modification methods of various materials, this study describes the positive and negative electrode materials of lithium-ion batteries. Among the negative electrode materials, Li4Ti5O12 is beneficial to maintain the stability of the battery structure, and the chemical vapor deposition method is the best way to prepare nitrogen-doped graphene materials. Doping and coating modifications for positive electrode materials can offer a smoother mobile route for lithium ions, which can enhance the cathode material’s cycling performance. This paper’s study, summary, and outlook on electrode materials for lithium-ion batteries can aid those researchers in developing a more thorough understanding of electrode materials. Also, it can be advantageous for the growth of associated follow-up research projects and the expansion of the lithium battery market.
lithium-ion battery, negative electrode materials, positive electrode materials, modification, future development
1. Yao, W.J., Zhuang, W., Ji, X.Y., et al, Solid-state synthesis of Li4Ti5O12 whiskers from TiO2-B[J], Mater Res Bull, 2016(75): 20
2. Yu, J.Y., Preparation and doping modification of lithium titanate as anode material for lithium-ion batteries. Dalian Maritime University, 2020. (In Chinese.)
3. Tan, Y., Xue, B., Research progress of lithium titanate as anode material for lithium-ion batteries. Journal of Inorganic Materials, 2018, 33(05): 475-482.
4. Luo, F., Chu, G., Huang, J., et al, Fundamental scientific aspect of lithium batteries (Ⅷ)—Anode electrode materials. Energy Storage Science and Technology, 2014, 3(02): 146-163.
5. Wang, C., Liu, Z.H., Sun, Y.H., et al, A review of electric performance and SOH research for Li4Ti5O12 based batteries, Advances in new and renewable energy, 2022, 10(04): 316-324. (In Chinese.)
6. Wei, B.X., Zhang, Z.R., Wang, C., Application of Li4Ti5O12 as anode in lithium ion batteries. Marine Electric, 2021, 41(06): 115-120. (In Chinese.)
7. Santhoshkumar, P., Prasanna, K., Nirmal, S.I., et al. Time-efficient synthesis of MnO2 encapsulated α-Fe2O3 ellipsoids for lithium ion battery applications[J], Journal of Alloys & Compounds, 2017, 720: 300–3.
8. Liu, C.Q., Qiao, X.L., Chi, C.X., Research progress in Fe2O3 anode materials for lithium batteries, China Academic Journal Electronic Publishing House, 2022, 85(11): 1290-1296. (In Chinese.)
9. Ren, W.C., Gao, L.B., Ma, L.P., Preparation of graphene by chemical vapor deposition. New carbon materials, 2011, 26(1): 10. (In Chinese.)
10. Yuan, X.Y., Progress in preparation of graphene. Journal of Inorganic Materials, 2011, 26(6). (In Chinese.)
11. Li, Q.X., Present situation and prospect of hard carbon anode materials for lithium-ion batteries. Journal of Shanghai Electric Power University, 30. 1(2014): 4. (In Chinese.)
12. Zhou, R.X., Study on Preparation, Modification and Electrochemical Energy Storage of Hard Carbon, Tian Jing University, 2020 (In Chinese.)
13. Yue, M., Wang, F., Yan, H., Composite hard carbon anode material for lithium-ion battery and its preparation method, CN101887966A[P]. 2010. (In Chinese.)
14. Wang, D.Y., Preparation and properties of graphite/hard carbon composites for lithium-ion battery anode, Harbin Institute of Technology, 2015. (In Chinese.)
15. Wang, J.L., Zheng, S.Q., Ni, J., Preparation method of lithium battery anode paste containing plant hard carbon material, CN114373930A. 2022. (In Chinese.)
16. Yue, G.F., Wang, L., Research intelligence analysis of lithium cobaltate industry, Science and technology vision, 2016, 0(5): 123-124. (In Chinese.)
17. Cui, B.X., Liu, Y.H., Niu, P.B., New energy materials and their applications in batteries, Information recording materials, 2021, 22(10): 234-236. (In Chinese.)
18. Hou, L., Feng, R., Xu, H., Research progress of cobalt doped lithium nickel oxide cathode materials. Inorganic chemical industry, 2009(8): 12-14. (In Chinese.)
19. Xi, X.M., Liao, D.Q., Study on the Sintering and Electrochemical Properties of Lithium Cobalt Prepared by Multiphase Oxidation-reduction Method, Mining Engineering, 2013(1): 97-100105 (In Chinese.)
20. Wang, K.X., LI, X.H., Chen, J.S., Surface and Interface Engineering of Electrode Materials for Lithium-Ion Batteries, Advanced Materials, 2015, 27(3): 527-545.
21. Lee, S.W., Kim, M.S., Jeong, J.H., et al, Li3PO4 surface coating on Ni-rich LiNi0.6Co0.2Mn0.2O2 by a citric acid assisted sol-gel method: Improved thermal stability and high-voltage performance[J], Journal of Power Sources. 2017, 360206-214.
22. Wang, X., Wu, Q., Li, S., et al. Lithium-Aluminum-Phosphate coating enables stable 4.6 V cycling performance of LiCoO2 at room temperature and beyond, Energy Storage Materials, 2021(6).
23. Li Z., Li A., Zhang H., et al, Multi-scale stabilization of high-voltage LiCoO2 enabled by nanoscale solid electrolyte coating[J], Energy Storage Materials, 2020, 2971-77.
24. Liu, Z.L., Zhang, Z.A., Zhu, Y.M., et al, Progress of rare earth materials used as cathode materials for lithium-ion batteries, Battery, 2019, 49(06): 520-523. (In Chinese.)
25. Guo, G.H., Chen, S., Liu, F.F., et al, Spinel type LiMn2O4 Progress in doping research, New Chemical Materials, 2013, 41(10): 169-171. (In Chinese.)
26. Sun, X.M., Preparation and performance study of LiMn2O4 lithium-ion battery with large capacity and laminated structure, Henan Science and Technology, 2014(11): 1. (In Chinese)
27. Chen, M., Yang, C., Xiao, B., Effect of Nickel Doping on the Structure and Electrochemical Properties of Spinel LiMn2O4, Rare metals, 2006, 30(4): 453-456. (In Chinese.)
28. Xu, M., Li, X., Zhang, Y., Preparation and Modification of Layered Lithium Manganate. Power supply technology, 2003, 27(4): 366-369. (In Chinese.)
29. Liu, X.Y., Li, X.Y., Qu, S.W., Research status of lithium iron phosphate cathode materials, Non-ferrous metal materials and engineering, 2021, 42(03): 41-47. (In Chinese.)
30. Yu, F., Zhang, L.L., LI, Y.C., et al. Mechanism studies of LiFePO4 cathode material: lithiation/delithiation process, electrochemical modification and synthetic reaction, RSC Adv, 2014, 4, 54576-54602.
31. Chen, S., Lv, D., Chen, J, Zhang, Y., Shi, F., Review on Defects and Modification Methods of LiFePO4 Cathode Material for Lithium-Ion Batteries. American Chemical Society, Energy & Fuels, 2022 36 (3), 1232-1251
32. Li, G.F., Li, Z.M., Ni, T., et al, Research Progress of Cathode Materials Modified by Surface Coating for Lithium-ion Batteries, Journal of Materials Engineering, 2018, 46(9): 23-30.
33. Chen J.M., Preparation and doping modification of cathode materials for lithium ion batteries, Jiangsu University of Science and Technology, 2022.
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available from the authors upon reasonable request.