Series Vol. 17 , 23 October 2023
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
This paper aims to offer a comprehensive review of the current state of the art in artificial intelligence (AI) as applied to license plate recognition. With the rapidly evolving nature of AI technology, deep learning approaches have gained popularity in license plate recognition, as exemplified by the success of AlphaGo. The diversity of AI in license plate recognition is notable, with numerous studies proposing systems that have achieved high accuracy in segmentation and recognition. The process of reading license plates is complex and involves several stages, including image capture, pre-processing, license plate identification, character segmentation, and recognition. Law enforcement widely uses automatic license plate recognition (ALPR) technology for detecting and preventing criminal activities, tracking stolen vehicles, and identifying suspects. Additionally, ALPR technology can monitor travel time on significant roadways, which can provide the Department of Transportation with useful data for efficient traffic management. Overall, this paper highlights the importance of AI in license plate recognition and its potential to revolutionize the field.
artificial intelligence, image recognition, license plate recognition
1. Duan Y et al 2019 Artificial intelligence for decision making in the era of Big Data – evolution, challenges and research agenda Int J Inf Manage vol 48 pp 63–71.
2. Mathew A et al 2021 Deep learning techniques: an overview Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing vol 1141 pp. 599–608
3. Granter S R et al 2017 AlphaGo, Deep Learning, and the Future of the Human Microscopist Arch Pathol Lab Med vol 141 no 5 pp 619–621
4. Castro-Zunti R D et al 2020 License plate segmentation and recognition system using deep learning and OpenVINO IET Intelligent Transport Systems vol 14 no 2 pp 119–126.
5. Hendry et al 2019 Automatic License Plate Recognition via sliding-window darknet-YOLO deep learning Image Vis Comput vol 87 pp 47–56
6. Hendry et al 2019 Automatic License Plate Recognition via sliding-window darknet-YOLO deep learning Image Vis Comput vol 87 pp 47–56
7. Khan K et al 2021 Performance enhancement method for multiple license plate recognition in challenging environments EURASIP J Image Video Process vol 2021 no 1 pp 1–23
8. Henry C et al 2020 Multinational License Plate Recognition Using Generalized Character Sequence Detection IEEE Access vol 8 pp 35185–35199.
9. Kai H et al 2020 Automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) in smart cities: A systematic review on technological advancements and application cases Sustainable Cities and Society vol 54
10. Meghann C et al 2012 Automated License Plate Recognition Systems: Policy and Operational Guidance for Law Enforcement INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF CHIEFS OF PLICE
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available from the authors upon reasonable request.